Pages

Saturday 22 June 2013

In memory of a TBC

This week one of the TBCs passed away. She fought a mighty battle right until the end. Her memory will live on.

I do not presume to know my TBC better than any other. I do not presume that I can grasp the weight so heavy on those closest to her. One thing I can be sure of is that this TBC would want others to learn more about Infammatory Breast Cancer (IBC). Out of the TBCs, she was the only one who had this particular breast cancer.

I quickly recall her telling her cancer story. For her, her battle began when she fought for doctors to acknowledge that something sinister was in her body. I recall her frustration. I recall her anger. Certainly, googling cannot replace the need for professional advice. But, surely we can all agree, that sometimes we do need to take our health into our own hands!

Don't get me wrong, I do respect our advances in medicine. But, our doctors are not perfect. Sometimes they do get it wrong. This TBC can be admired for her persistance to fight; even in the early days.

So, for her, I take this opportunity to plead with you to get to know about Inflammatory Breast Cancer. Please have a conversation with someone about it. It's important.

With that been said, there is far more to this TBC than cancer. It is with mixed emotions that I await the opportunity to say goodbye and join in celebration of her life early next week.

As I dance around the lounge with my pink and purple mates (and the blue one), I think of this Tough Beautiful Chick. It is a priviledge to be here, in this moment. In her honour, I will try my best to appreciate each and every moment.

     "Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it. No idleness, no delay, no procrastination; never put off till tomorrow what you can do today"
                                                                   - Earl of Chesterfield

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia! I just stopped by and was reading a few of your posts. I had a quick question about your blog and was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance -emilywalsh688 (at) gmail.com- Thanks : )

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    Did I ever reply to your comment?
    Ax

    ReplyDelete